INTRODUCTION TO HOMESCHOOLING with WALT DISNEY’S FANTASIA – PART ONE:
YEAR ONE – WEEK THREE: Introduction and Overview:
Amothersrandomthoughts.com Copyright 2018 Introduction to Homeschooling with Disney movies. Read these notes and overview before beginning to study Year One, Week 3 – Homeschooling with Walt Disney’s Fantasia – Part One. This Introduction to Homeschooling with Walt Disney’s Fantasia is for Year One – Week Three. It is designed to give you a clear understanding of what we will be studying the third week, and is meant to be used with Elements of Fun Learning Curriculum found here! We hope that you love what you learn!
- Intermediate and Advanced learners will continue to read Around the World in 80 Days from last week.
- Beginner learners will read other selections.
- We will also be discussing the orchestra, composers, art and having some awesome snacks.
- We will be studying the Sorcerer’s Apprentice first. This is the most widely recognized piece out of the four we will be studying this week.
SYNOPSIS FOR HOMESCHOOLING WITH WALT DISNEY’S FANTASIA – PART ONE
Fantasia is a multi-segment film set to 8 different classical compositions. In Part One, we will look at the first four segments of the film. Leopold Stokowski is the conductor for the music that was performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra.
ADDITIONAL FACTS ABOUT FANTASIA:
- Fantasia was released in 1940
- Only seven of the eight songs were conducted by the Philadelphia Orchestra
- Composer Deems Taylor is Master of Ceremonies
- Originally Fantasia did not do well at the box office due to World War II
- However, the film is now the 22 highest-grossing film of all time.
- Disney produced a sequel in 2000 entitled Fantasia 2000.
(These basic notes are included with additional suggestions for learning activities)
Suggestions: This study is for one week only. I have tried to keep things light to not overwhelm anyone in the first several weeks.
HOMESCHOOLING WITH WALT DISNEY’S FANTASIA – PART ONE
Walt Disney’s Fantasia is rated G, and most of the segments are suitable for the entire family. In Part Two, there is a segment that may scare some children. As with any movie, some of my children love Fantasia, but none of them hate it. I do allow my children to dance around while they are watching it.
Since this film deals with the Orchestra and classical music, we will be studying the orchestra in more detail.
Four days this week we will study one segment of Fantasia. We will talk about the orchestra, the composer, and the musical piece. We will also be doing an art project a day for this segment. Please feel free to pick your four days for what works for your schedule. The fifth day I have reserved for field trips.
This week we will continue the study of the Earth and concepts such as the Continental Drift.
Astronomy will studied by Advanced students, while Beginner and Intermediate Students will study the seasons.
We will be finishing Jules Verne novel, Around the World in 80 Days. Beginner students we read selections that pertain to the orchestra.
After reading this introduction, proceed to the SCHEDULE FOR YEAR ONE – WEEK THREE.
After reading through the Schedule, access the BOOKLIST for Year One: Weeks 1-12, and then read through the APPENDIX. Finally, visit the SUPPLIES list to see what is necessary for week 3 for Homeschooling with WALT DISNEY’S FANTASIA.
Homeschooling mom – 30 years and counting
Movie reviewer/Travel blogger